We used to have coffee and something to eat at Costa cafe some times with Tim’s parents……. Once I tried the lemon and poppyseed muffin I was a bit obsessed with baking my own as I loved it!
The secret is that it has lemon curd or some lemony cream inside, so when you bite into it, (with a huge mouthful) you can see a layer of cream, and that was the part I wanted to get right. Well, did I get it right? OK, have a look down below – I am just gonna say that the cream was there but a bit melted so I have to keep trying! So if you know how to put some cream inside a muffin before baking them…. let me know!
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Lemon curd
- 2 lemons zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 180ºC and place the muffin paper in the muffin tray.
1. Cream the butter with the sugar until it gets fluffy.
2. Add the egg yolks (once at time) and beat well. In another bowl mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda) plus poppy seeds and lemon zest. Add the dry ingredients to the mix, alternating two times with the yogurt, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.
3. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
PS: This is now Tim. We have moved! I shall try and write this weekend a little bit about the last few weeks exploring exciting subjects such as “the new, random oven”, “cooking from boxes” and many, many more”